2005 Malaysia Textile & Apparel Performance
In addition, the 2005 growth came on top of a 14.3 percent export surge in 2004 valued at RM9.69 billion over RM8.48 in 2003.
Within the sector, exports of textile constituted 52.6 percent of the overall exports while the remaining 47.4 percent comprised of apparels and clothing accessories.
Exports to the major market of the USA, were unchanged at RM2.9 billion and accounting for 28.5 percent of exports of this sub-sector. Exports to the EU increased by 4.4 per cent to RM1.8 billion. Significant increases in exports, in particular textiles, were recorded to other markets, such as Turkey, the PRC, Syria and India.
Turkey emerged as the second largest market with an export growth of 60.7 percent to RM638.1 million followed by Singapore, UK and Japan.
Total imports of textiles and clothing increased by 4% to RM5.03 billion comprising mainly yarns, woven fabrics and knitted fabrics.
Major sources of imports of textiles and clothing were China with a share of 29.9% of total imports, Taiwan (11.2 percent) Indonesia (8.5 percent) and Thailand (8.4%).